FOSSIL FUEL NON PROLIFERATION TREATY
12 September 2021
The Global Greens representing more than 100 Green Parties around the world note that the:
- Extraction and burning of fossil fuels is driving catastrophic global heating;
- Fossil fuel industry’s huge reserves, continuing expansion plans, and demands on the public purse for subsidies, bailouts and exemptions; and
- Supply side of the fossil fuel industry is not directly addressed in the Paris Agreement.
We support our Member Parties to include in their policy platforms, policies and measures designed to:
- End expansion of oil, gas and coal production in line with the best available science as outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and United Nations Environment Program;
- Phase out existing oil, gas and coal in a manner that is fair and equitable;
- End all fossil fuel subsidies and export financing for fossil fuels;
- Commit to and pursue transformational policies and plans to ensure 100% access to renewable energy globally, support economies to diversify away from fossil fuels, and enable people and communities across the globe to flourish through a just global transition;
- Enact national budgets and fiscal policies that will support this swift and just transition nationally and globally;
- Ensure the timely and adequate delivery of public, additional and non-debt creating climate finance as part of the obligations of rich, industrialized countries to address climate change;
- Call for new international commitments and treaties, complementing the Paris Agreement, to address the urgency of a swift and just transition away from fossil fuel energy and building democratic, renewable, safe energy systems for all people and communities in line with the goal of keeping global temperature rise below to 1.5 degrees Celsius and preventing climate catastrophe; and
- Endorse in principle a Fossil Fuel Non Proliferation Treaty.